Saturday, June 26, 2010

Status report

June 13-I walked 4.22 miles.  I took a pack of pizza sticks with me.  I sat at the top of a hill, in our boat storage area 2 times to rest and ate them.  I wanted to do 5 miles but didn't think I could.
June 14-I walked 3.41 miles.  I took a short break.
My cousin Jane called.  She said she got my letter, and wanted to know who to make the check to.
My lumbar pack and buttons from the 3Day shop came.  I love them.  The pack is able to be carried several different ways.
June 15-My uncle Jim called, saying he got his letter.
I did 20 minutes yoga.
June 16-I walked 5.27 miles.  It was very humid.  I saw the orange and black cats.  I didn't have to stop and rest.
In the mail I got $25 from my cousin and $50 from my uncle.  
June 17-I did 30 minutes yoga.
I walked .57 miles with the dogs.  Part of it was trying to get Grace out of the dog's pen across the street.  I ran a little with her.
June 18-I walked 6.39 miles.  
I have the beginning of a blister on my big toe.
June 19-I walked 5.12 miles.
June 20-Saturday evening my grandnephew Aaron told me our neighbor Lance wanted to talk to me, so after I got dressed I went and talked to him.  He gave me a $100 donation!
Coming in from seeing Lance, I stumbled and twisted my right foot a little.  I tried to put on my tennis shoe, but it hurt.  I got my dad to come and get us so I wouldn't have to drive.  After we got home, I put it up and wrapped it in an ace bandage, and put ice on it some.
June 21-My foot felt much better.  I went shopping in Cumming and only felt a few twinges.  
I did 15 minutes yoga.
June 22-I walked 3.29 miles.  My foot felt OK.
June 23-I walked 5.1 miles.  
June 24-I did 30 minutes yoga.
June 25-I left home at 7:30, meaning to walk 7 miles.  About a mile and a half in I had to stop and rest.  My right leg hurt.  I sat, caught my breath, and listened to my favorite morning show on 104.7, through the radio in my iPod.  After that I had to stop every lap, which is a little over a mile.  I felt light headed a little, especially toward the end.  
I carried my lumbar pack with me-I like it, especially as a waist pack or slung over my shoulder with the strap.  Training, using it as a regular backpack is too hot.  On the event that way may be OK.  It didn't bump me at all any way I carried it.
I think maybe several things made my walk as bad as it was-I only made it 6 miles, I had to cut home across the lake and up through the woods, and it took me over 2 hours. (Only 3.7 miles is recorded because of an error on my part.)  One, it was the first walk I had with the pack.  Two, either PMS or some illness seems to have weakened me.  Three, it was about 80% humidity.  It was like the perfect storm, and a miserable walk was the result.  I thought for a while it was the pack, so on my last loop through our boat storage area, I stowed it between some sheds.  
One good thing-I was crouching in the street resting when a small black lab came to me.  She licked my hand a bit.  Her owner saw us and asked if the dog was scaring me.  I said no, and told her about our chocolate lab Levi, who outweighs her by about 50 pounds.  She said she's seen me walking a lot.  I told her about the 3Day, and asked if she'd like to give.  She said yes, so we went in her house so I could give her my email address, but then she decided to give me a check right then.  She gave $25.
When I got home I was drenched in sweat.  My bra was soaked.  I've walked that far (and farther) but have never sweat so much.  I'm very glad the walk I'm participating in is in October, when it's cooler and less humid.  I think if ours was before Labor Day here it'd be pretty bad.
I put seven miles on my training log because I logged about 2,000 steps at Wal-Mart.
June 26-I walked 6.25 miles.  It went much better than yesterday's walk.  I felt pretty good when it was over.
I helped a 3Day friend from Twitter get going on the Nike plus website.
Yesterday, through someone I follow on Twitter (I think)  I got led to a blog entry about a lady who is running the Chicago marathon to raise money for World Vision, whose work partly is to help those in Africa who don't have access to clean water.  On the blog she is keeping about her training program, she put this verse: How beautiful on the mountains are the feet of those who bring good news, who proclaim peace, who bring good tidings, who proclaim salvation, who say to Zion, "Your God reigns!" (Isaiah 52:7)  This verse has really inspired me last night and this morning, and also the song by Twila Paris, How Beautiful.  I'm thinking of changing my team name (at this point it's just me) to Beautiful Feet.  I can't think of much better tidings than an end to breast cancer once and for all.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like your training is going great! I hope you get everything worked out with your pack, it shouldn't be causing you pain at all. If it does, then it probably isn't the right pack for you.

    Keep up the good work!

    ~ Kristen

    ReplyDelete