Sunday, March 14, 2010

Weekly journal

I want to keep a journal of my experiences and feelings as I work toward my ultimate goal of doing the 3Day walk in Atlanta, GA this October, from the beginning.
March 2-I sent an email to 7 of my friends asking for prayer about doing the event, and wrote a note to my friends on Facebook.
March 4-One of my friends wrote me back, offering to contribute to both my registration fee and my fundraising goal.
March 5-I went to my mother's room to ask her a question, and in the course of the conversation I told her I wanted to do the 3Day walk. I was kind of afraid of her reaction; I was pleasantly surprised by her offering to pay for all the gear I need to do it. I was so grateful, to her and the Lord. It was as though He was reassuring me this was His will for me to do the Walk this year, after wanting to for so long. She also gave me $10 extra to cover my registration fee.
March 6-I started doing some yoga, to ease menstrual cramps mostly, but also as part of my training. I walked our chocolate Lab, and while I was gone I lost the Nike+ sensor that fits in my shoe. I was upset because a new one would cost me $20. I looked for it for a long time, and finally found it. I think it fell into a pile of leaves on the side of the road, and as I was looking I kicked it into the center of the road where I found it easily.
March 7-I went to church. I spoke to several of my girlfriends about the walk.
March 8-I went to our church and met up with the headmaster of our Christian school, who'd promised me money toward my registration. When I finally got with her, she gave me double the amount she'd promised me. I got officially signed up for the Walk. I sent out my first fundraising email, and put fundraising widgets on my blog and Facebook page.
March 9-I called the 3Day Coaches and spoke to a nice lady named Jody. She helped me set up a team. I called it Walking by Faith. She was very encouraging. She was on the crew in Atlanta in 2009.
I set up a pink habitat for my virtual pet.
I was able to see the list of walkers near me on Tuesday night.
March 10-As I was doing yoga, I had Kevin & Taylor (104.7 The Fish) on, and I heard one of the 3Day ads.
I found a map online of the 2009 Atlanta walk. It started at Lake Lanier Islands and went through downtown Buford. The camp was in Duluth.
"Christ isn't a sleepy spectator, watching us run from His throne in heaven. He's not in the bleachers, cheering us on from beyond the clouds. Rather, Jesus is wearing His jersey and He's running beside us, strengthening our spirits and encouraging us to keep going. Even though we often feel that we are the first to run the race, Christ has laid down the footprints we are called to follow, and we can run as though we can win." Sex, Sushi, and Salvation, p.160
I posted a fan page for myself on Facebook.
"Pain is weakness leaving the body."-on back of Marines' shirts, on EM:HE
March 11-I found an underground guide to the Walk and others like it that had some useful tips.
March 12-I bought a yoga mat to maybe keep my back from hurting.
March 13-I saw my friend Faith at Wal-mart and told her about my doing the Walk.
I printed some donation forms and also some pages from a brochure and some business cards.
A fellow walker from Huntsville tweeted me, welcoming me to the event. She said she hopes we can get together at the Walk. It was nice.
I posted a prayer request about the Walk on a blog I read, who were doing a 24 hour day of prayer. These are the responses I got--
Lord we ask now for strength and commitment for Brandee and all who would pledge to support the fund raising goal. Speak into the lives of people to be generous in a time of famine.
Brandee -
I prayed for you this morning, thanking God for your servant's heart. I prayed that your passion for reaching your goal would inspire others, and that money would come to you -- beyond what you imagined. And I prayed that you would glorify God as you walk. I'm not even sure what that would look like, but it made me think of a Team 4:13 t-shirt I've worn in races. I'm claiming God's promise for you: "He who honors me, him (her!) will I honor."
Have a great walk!
March 14-At church I handed out my business cards and told people I was doing the Walk.
The man who preached this morning preached a message that was very encouraging to me in my journey to do this. I'm planning to get the CD so I can listen to it again.
After service my friend Barbara introduced me to a lady in our congregation who is a breast cancer survivor. We had a nice talk about the Walk, and she may want to do it with me.
I had lunch with my dad, and he told me he saw the Walk in progress last year.
This is my journey so far. I feel very discouraged about this tonight; I guess I'm impatient and I want everything to happen at once. I also guess I thought that more people would give right away. I am fighting constant negative voices in my mind, telling me that I will never reach my fundraising goal. I need to fight this negativity with all that is within me. I know I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me, but sometimes I lose sight of that and get very down about this whole thing. I am sure that the way I came to sign up for this event this year after wanting to for several years, and the support I feel just from the handful of people I have talked to is from the Lord. I am believing that I will persevere and exceed my fundraising goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment